JOAN MIRÓ

‘Architecture itself can become a sculpture.’

— Josep Lluís Sert

In 1956 Joan Miró settled in Palma de Mallorca and was finally able to have the studio of his dreams, which he commissioned from his friend and architect Josep Lluís Sert.

Miró and Sert met in the early 1930s and gradually forged both their friendship and their long-lasting professional ties. They shared a desire to integrate art with architecture, and an interest in simplicity as a means to capture the essence of things.

The Sert Studio can be visited today in Palma de Mallorca. The studio combines tradition with innovation, its concrete structure working in partnership with more traditional Mediterranean materials, like stone or clay. The L-shaped studio is on two levels, with a vaulted, undulating roof which gives the building’s regular-shaped structure a sinuous sense of movement. A plastic approach was taken to all the façades, with attention to colour, especially the south façade, where the white concrete is juxtaposed with blue or terracotta and also with the red and yellow of the woodwork.

Joan Miró’s studio, photographed by Miquel Julià, Palma de Mallorca © Fundació Joan Miró Mallorca / Successió Miró